Probable line-up for Glenfiddich, pending final confirmation
Based on criteria to gain entry, 10 of the world’s most successful solo pipers from the past year should be invited to compete at the 2009 Glenfiddich Invitational Solo Piping Championship at Blair Atholl, Scotland, on October 31st, with the list featuring mostly faces well-kent at the contest, and a few making either their second appearance of debut at the event.
After winning the Highland Society of London’s Gold Medal at the Northern Meeting at Inverness, Scotland, Glenn Brown of Glasgow will take the Glenfiddich stage in the Great Hall of at Blair Castle for the first time in his blossoming career.
At the other end of the spectrum, Willie McCallum of Bearsden, Scotland, will attempt to extend his own record with an ninth overall Glenfiddich Championship.
Competitors invited to the 2009 Glenfiddich, along with the prize that gained their invitation, alphabetically:
- Glenn Brown – Northern Meeting Gold Medal
- Alastair Dunn, Glagsow – Argyllshire Gathering Gold Medal
- Bruce Gandy, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia – United States Piping Foundation Championship
- Stuart Liddell, Inveraray, Scotland – Northern Meeting Clasp
- Angus MacColl, Benderloch, Scotland – Argyllshire Gathering Senior Piobaireachd
- Roddy MacLeod, Glasgow – Silver Chanter
- Willie McCallum – Northern Meeting Former Winners MSR
- James Murray, Cupar, Scotland – Argyllshire Gathering Former Winners MSR
- Iain Speirs, Edinburgh – Bratach Gorm at London
- Gordon Walker, Galston, Scotland – 2008 Glenfiddich Champion
The above list is based on known criteria, and the final 10 competitors will be published as soon as it is confirmed by the organizers.