Expanded third-year CLASP schedule
The Competition League for Amateur Solo Pipers (CLASP) has announced an expanded schedule and the debut of a new grand prize that will see the overall winner of the organization’s Grade 1 event at the August Piping Live! competition receive an all-expenses-paid trip to compete in the amateur contests at the Metro Cup in New Jersey in February 2008. The prize is being donated by Eric and Maureen Stein of New York.
Sponsored by R.G. Hardie & Co., CLASP began in 2005 as the first organized series of solo competitions in Scotland’s long piping history. The events are for adult amateur pipers only, who before CLASP had nowhere to compete unless they wanted to go against the world’s greatest solo pipers.
The organization also announced a special £20 membership rate for “overseas” pipers who can’t attend the majority of the competitions in the UK.
“This will hopefully make it more affordable for overseas players and hopefully encourage them to get involved,” said CLASP director, Margaret Houlihan.
CLASP announced its schedule of competitions for the rest of 2007 and early 2008:
- August 8-10 – Piping Live Festival Glasgow, at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama
- August 30-31 – MacDonald Highland Resort, Aviemore, Scotland
- November 3 – London
- November 24 – Art History Department of St Andrews University, St. Andrew’s, Scotland
- February 23 – St. Joseph’s School, Babylon, New York
- April 26 – National Piping Centre, Glasgow
- June 14 – Army School of Piping, Edinburgh
What do you think? We always want to hear from our readers, so please use our comment system to provide your thoughts!
Do you have news? Be sure to send your information to pipes|drums. We can’t report what we don’t know about! Please remember to support the businesses that advertise and make the not-for-profit p|d possible.