UK Championships season starts Saturday at Dumbarton
The first major pipe band contest of the 2007 RSPBA season is the Scottish Pipe Band Championships at Levengrove Park in Dumbarton, Scotland, on Saturday, May 19. Fourteen bands are entered in the Grade 1 MSR contest, two more than in 2006 when the Grade 1 entry was at its smallest in decades.
Field Marshal Montgomery won the 2006 Scottish Championship.
The year’s first major is usually fraught with questions stemming from developments over the off-season, and this year is no exception. Among other queries, piping and drumming enthusiasts around the world will be looking for answers to:
- Will the Strathclyde Police continue its upward momentum and lock a consistent spot in a new top three?
- Will St. Laurence O’Toole’s new all-cane and sheepskin outfitted pipe section produce results similar to what the band experienced last Saturday at Malahide?
- Will the Lothian & Borders Police return to a good Grade 1 standard with the addition of new Pipe-Major Davie Barnes and a completely revamped and bigger pipe-section?
- How will Field Marshal Montgomery fare with its new Premier drums?
- How will the Tayside Police do fresh out of Grade 2?
- Will the RSPBA abide by a 2005 court ruling and compensate performers for the DVDs and recordings made of the Scottish and other championships?
- Will 2007 be the year that judges start clamping down on large and active mid-sections, or will the trend continue?
- Will Torphichen & Bathgate realize expectations and dominate Grade 2 in 2007?
The Dumbarton weather forecast for the day is cloudy with showers and a high of 14°.
As usual, pipes|drums plans to have Grade 1 results from the Scottish posted in sync with their being announced on the field, expected around 1:30 pm EDT.
What do you think? We always want to hear from our readers, so please use our comment system to provide your thoughts!
Do you have news? Be sure to send your information to pipes|drums. We can’t report what we don’t know about! Please remember to support the businesses that advertise and make the not-for-profit p|d possible.