The third in our series of performances by Grade 1 pipe band leaders features Pipe-Major Doug MacRae and Leading-Drummer Drew Duthart of the 78th Fraser Highlanders. MacRae and Duthart were one of the four duos who played at the annual Pipes+Drums Recital at the 2012 Piping Live! Glasgow International Festival of Piping.
The two were joined by bass drummer Johnny Rowe and tenor drummer Matt Bellia, providing an mini-band effect.
The Pipes+Drums recitals are designed to showcase the talents of the leaders of the world’s top pipe bands, with an eye to demonstrating how they work together musically. Just days before the World Pipe Band Championships, the players and their instruments are in top form. The musical relationship between pipe-major and leading-drummer dictates much of the band’s overall ensemble integration.
This year’s recital series was the second, and previous performances available online are:
- P-M Ross Walker and L-D Gordon Brown, Boghall & Bathgate Caledonia (2012)
- P-M Neil Hall and L-D Jake Jørgensen, Lothian & Borders Police (2012)
- P-M John Cairns and L-D Graham Brown, Peel Regional Police (2011)
- P-M Chris Armstrong and L-D Barry Wilson, ScottishPower (2011)
- P-M Stewart MacKenzie and L-D Graeme Parker, Manawatu Scottish (2011)
- P-M Stuart Liddell and L-D Steven McWhirter, Inveraray & District (2011)
Stay tuned to pipes|drums for more videos from our 2012 Pipes+Drums Recital.