CLASP connects with London, expands 2008-09 schedule
Scotland’s Competition League of Amateur Solo Pipers (CLASP) has formed a new relationship with the Scottish Piping Society of London’s annual competitions and will for the first time offer events in November at Glaziers’ Hall in London.
The CLASP prizes will be awarded at London during the awards ceremony for the senior events.
CLASP director Margaret Houlihan said that the Grade 1 World Solo Amateur Piping Competition will be held during the week of the Piping Live! festival in August, with the overall winner of that event receiving an all-expenses-paid trip to New York to compete in the Metro Cup Amateur Competition in February 2009, a prize donated by Eric and Maureen Stein.CLASP Dates 2008-’09
- August 14-15 2008 – World Solo Amateur Piping Championships, Glasgow
- September 5, 2008 – Northern Meeting, Inverness, Scotland
- November 1, 2008 – Scottish Piping Society of London, London
- January 24, 2009 – St. Andrews, Scotland
- February 2009 – Babylon, New York
- April 11, 2009 – National Piping Centre, Glasgow
- June 20, 2009 – Army School of Piping, Edinburgh
Douglas Gardiner of Edinburgh was the big CLASP prize-winner in 2007, winning the grand-prize New York trip. All pipers who maintain amateur status can become members of CLASP for £20. Details are available by e-mail from Houlihan directly.