Updated: Draw for World’s Grade 1 Qualifier completed
After the European Championships, the pre-qualified bands for the World Championships were settled.
Based on the RSPBA’s league table system, in which points are accrued from the three Majors preceding the World’s, combined with so-called “overseas” bands that gained a prize at the previous year’s World’s, these bands, listed in alphabetical order, receive a bye to the Final. :
- Boghall & Bathgate Caledonia (Scotland)
- Field Marshal Montgomery (Northern Ireland)
- House of Edgar-Shotts & Dykehead (Scotland)
- Robert Wiseman Dairies-Vale of Atholl (Scotland)
- Scottish Lion-78th Fraser Highlanders (Canada)
- ScottishPower (Scotland)
- Simon Fraser University (Canada)
- St. Laurence O’Toole (Ireland)
- Strathclyde Police (Scotland)
Five more bands from the morning MSR Qualifier will then be added to the mix. The draw for bands competing in the Qualifier:
- Alberta Caledonia (Canada)
- Los Angeles Scots (USA)
- Ballinderry Bridge (Northern Ireland)
- Tayside Police (Scotland)
- Dysart & Dundonald (Scotland)
- Lothian & Borders Police (Scotland)
- Ballycoan (Northern Ireland)
- Windsor Police (Canada)
- Clan Gregor Society (Scotland)
- Manawatu Scottish Society (New Zealand)
- 78th Highlanders (Halifax Citadel) (Canada)
- Bleary & District (Northern Ireland)
- Australia Highlanders (Australia)
The league table system has been heavily criticized for placing the qualifying bands at a severe disadvantage for the Final in that they have to compete three times. Since the RSPBA introduced the system, only three bands, ScottishPower, Vale of Atholl and the 78th Fraser Highlanders, have managed to get through the qualifier and then attain a prize in the final. The 78th Frasers managed it in two different years, and ScottishPower and the Vale both in 1999.
Stay tuned to pipes|drums’ annual predictions consolidated from the choices made by our panel of experts. The publication has traditionally been very accurate with its forecasts.
What do you think? We always want to hear from our readers, so please use our comment system to provide your thoughts!
Do you have news? Be sure to send your information to pipes|drums. We can’t report what we don’t know about! Please remember to support the businesses that advertise and make the not-for-profit p|d possible.