World’s Week Grade 1 Band Practice Locations and Times
For those travelling to the World Pipe Band Championships, half the
fun is going around Scotland during the week leading up to the big
contest to hear the top bands in their practice locations.
As a service to readers of pipes|drums, we’ve asked each Grade 1
band to tell us where they might be found during the week of August
10. We heard from the following bands and, where applicable, also
pass along the band’s request that visitors not try to attend their
practices. (Missing bands have so far not responded to our
Readers are advised to confirm times and venues with bands before
making any long journeys.
- Alberta Caledonia – Practicing at Kelvingrove Park,
Glasgow. Use either the Derby St or Kelvin Way gates. Practices
begin at 9:30 a.m. and go until around noon on August 14 and 15.
The band notes that they can also be found at the Park Bar or
Cairncross House on Kelvinhaugh Street.
- Ballycoan – Staying at Woolfson Halls of residence,
- Boghall & Bathgate – Practicing at
Deans Community High School in the town of Livingston on August
11, 13, and 14, and at Glasgow Green on Friday afternoon.
- Bucksburn & District – Staying at Glasgow
University’s Woolfson halls of residence starting August 14.
Practicing at Glasgow Green on Friday, depending on the weather. If
bad weather the band will practice on the grounds of the
- City of Washington – Band is staying at Glasgow
Caledonia University at Dobbies Loan. Pipe section practice
starting Wednesday and then full band practices on Thursday
afternoon, Friday morning and Friday afternoon.
- Dysart & Dundonald – Practicing August 11 at the
Dundonald Institute & Dundonald Bluebells FC; Wednesday, August
13, at the Village Inn & Dundonald Bluebells FC; Friday, August
15, at the Dundonald Institute & Dundonald Bluebells FC. All
practice times: 7:00 – 9:30 p.m. All venues in Cardenden, Fife. (15
mins from Forth Bridge). Contact: Paul Turner at 07887
- Field Marshal Montgomery – Arriving in Scotland August
14, and practicing at Kelvin Grove park in Glasgow on Friday
afternoon from around 2:00 p.m.
- Glasgow Skye Association – Band practices at the RSPBA
Headquarters at 45 Washington Street, Glasgow, August 11 and 14,
7.30 until 10.30 p.m.
- House of Edgar-Shotts & Dykehead – Band welcomes
visitors to its practice site on Robert Street in the village of
Shotts, off the M8, about half way between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Practice schedule for World’s week is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and
- Los Angeles Scottish – Staying at Queen Margaret
residences, Bellshaugh Court, Kirklee, University of Glasgow.
Practicing there at around 9:00 a.m. each day, starting August
- Lothian & Borders Police – Band will be practicing
on Monday and Thursday, from 7.30 p.m. onwards at Lothian &
Borders Police Headquarters, Fettes Avenue, Edinburgh. Anyone
wishing to attend should go to the reception desk and ask to be
taken to the practice hall. E-mail: Band
- Manawatu Scottish – The band is staying at Alexander
Court, Stirling University, Stirling, and practices each day at
10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. The band will be practicing on Glasgow
Green at 2:00 p.m. on Friday before the World’s near the Grade 1
- MacTarnahan’s Prince Charles – Staying at the Murano
Street residences at the University of Glasgow. Practices will take
place every day starting on August 9.
- Peel Regional Police – Staying at Strathclyde
University. Practicing Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday in the
parking lot off Collins Road at the university from 11:15 am to
- St. Laurence O’Toole – Staying at the Glynhill Hotel,
Paisley Road, Renfrew. Arriving in Glasgow on Friday, August 15,
and will be practicing that evening, probably starting around 7:00
or 8:00 p.m.
- ScottishPower – The band would love to have guests
attend practices, however space and security issues make it
- 78th Fraser Highlanders – Staying at Forbes Hall,
Rottenrow, Strathclyde University. Band not practicing publicly
until after August 13 performance at the Glasgow Royal Concert
Hall. Thursday and Friday practicing outdoors, but likely somewhere
near the residences.
- Simon Fraser University – Staying at Wolfson Hall,
Garscube Estates, Bearsden. Practices scheduled for Wednesday,
Thursday and Friday, each starting at 3:30 p.m.
- Strathclyde Police – Practices are held at the Lochinch
Police Club at Pollok Park, Glasgow. The band will practice Tuesday
through Friday, 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. the week of the World’s. Contact
number for the band: 0141-532-3177 or 3178.
Toronto Police – Practicing at Kelvingrove Park near
Cairncross House, Glasgow University, Wednesday to Friday starting
at 1:00 p.m.
- Vale of Atholl – Practices are held at the Tulloch
Institute in Perth, and the band will definitely be practicing on
the Tuesday and Thursday.
What do you think? We always want to hear from our
readers, so please use our comment system to provide your
Do you have an idea for a feature story that you would like to read
or write? Be sure to send your concept to the pipes|drums. We can’t
report what we don’t know about! Please remember to support the
businesses that advertise and make the not-for-profit p|d
NO COMMENTS YET