All-star lineup prepping for Uist & Barra
Nearly every major UK solo contest prizewinner in 2015 has confirmed attendance at the annual Uist & Barra Invitational Solo Piping Competition on March 5th at the College of Piping. Fifteen of the world’s best will vie for awards in the Piobaireachd, MSR and Hornpipe & Jig events throughout the day:
- Callum Beaumont, Linlithgow, Scotland
- Glenn Brown, Glasgow
- Cameron Drummond, Edinburgh
- Bill Geddes, Glasgow
- Alasdair Henderson, Dunoon, Scotland
- Faye Henderson, Kirriemuir, Scotland
- Finlay Johnston, Glasgow
- Stuart Liddell, Inveraray, Scotland
- Angus MacColl, Benderloch, Scotland
- Roddy MacLeod, Glasgow
- Willie McCallum, Bearsden, Scotland
- Gordon McCready, Renfrew, Scotland
- Iain Speirs, Edinburgh
- Niall Stewart, Kyle of Lochalsh, Scotland
- Gordon Walker, Galston, Scotland
Last year’s Uist & Barra saw Faye Henderson, Gordon Walker and Alasdair Henderson win the Piobaireachd, MSR and Hornpipe & Jig events, respectively.
The Uist & Barra is traditionally the first significant solo event of the UK season, and its history goes back almost a century. The competition is put on by the Glasgow Uist & Barra Association.
Tickets are available in advance from the College of Piping and are priced at £12.
Judges for each of the three events are Ian Duncan, Stuart Shedden and Andrew Wright.