p|d Hot Stove League: LA Scots’ Armstrong and Kvidahl at 2012 Pipes+Drums Recital
The fourth part of our 2012 Pipes+Drums Recital of Grade 1 band pipe-majors and leading-drummers features Los Angeles Scots Colin Armstrong and Glenn Kvidahl with four selections from the August 8th event
The band saw its way back in to the Grade 1 Final round at the World Pipe Band Championships three days later, ultimately finishing as the thirteenth best band in the world.
Joining Armstrong and Kvidahl in one set is bass drummer Steve Foley, one of the world’s more award-winning big-drum players. While Armstrong has led the LA Scots since 2006, Kvidahl became leading-drummer in April 2010.
The Pipes+Drums recitals are designed to showcase the talents of the leaders of the world’s top pipe bands, with an eye to demonstrating how they work together musically. Just days before the World Pipe Band Championships, the players and their instruments are in top form. The musical relationship between pipe-major and leading-drummer dictates much of the band’s overall ensemble integration.
This year’s recital series was the second, and previous performances available online are:
- P-M Doug MacRae and L-D Drew Duthart, 78th Fraser Highlanders (2012)
- P-M Ross Walker and L-D Gordon Brown, Boghall & Bathgate Caledonia (2012)
- P-M Neil Hall and L-D Jake Jørgensen, Lothian & Borders Police (2012)
- P-M John Cairns and L-D Graham Brown, Peel Regional Police (2011)
- P-M Chris Armstrong and L-D Barry Wilson, ScottishPower (2011)
- P-M Stewart MacKenzie and L-D Graeme Parker, Manawatu Scottish (2011)
- P-M Stuart Liddell and L-D Steven McWhirter, Inveraray & District (2011)
This installment gives the pipes|drums Magazine Channel more than 200 videos.